Sunday, May 08, 2011

all my mommas

I am so thankful for the day when my dad and I went to an auction and I bought my first purebred heifer. I was about 11 at the time and since the heifer was already sort of halter broke my dad suggested I continue on with it and join 4H. Since then I have been addicted to showing cattle and because of that lifestyle have met so many amazing people. Being that today is mother’s day I am especially thankful for all the women that I have met that encourage me and help me out along the way. Because of all the support that I am given I like to think of a lot of people as my ‘adopted family’ or in this case, my ‘adopted moms’
The person who first comes to mind is ‘Momma Nola’ who’s family often attends cattle shows with us. I am privileged to be one of the few people who get to call her this without being slapped. She has been deemed this because of how she is always there to take care of my sister and me. She makes sure our shirts are tucked in before we go in the ring and that we have healthy food to eat.
 I have so many parents from my old 4-H club that took care of me throughout 4H that all of them I could call my mother’s too. They were all always there to give me a hand whenever I needed it and 4-H get togethers with my club always had the best food a pile of laughs.
Another great lady who comes to mind is my neighbour and best friend’s mom. She is always around to help out with any project we have on the go around here, and always has some awesome snack for us. Many times I have relied on Darla on school trips to be my mother when my real mom is not there.
I also can’t forget Sue I have known her all my life and apparently my parents met her family at an arena that they both kept horses at. Sue is like a mom to me in all the support she gives, I took my first semester of University in the city that she lives in and was very often invited over for supper.
Of course I can’t forget my real mom and my grandmothers. These are the ladies that inspire me the most. To this day I still consider my mom superwomen. In my previous post about the farmer’s wife I talked about how farmer’s wives seem to be able to help out around the farm, have jobs and still raise children. My mom seems to do all this and more, she is always out on the farm whenever we need her, she’s there to lend a hand at halter breaking, tattooing and vaccinating, she works full time and often is helping us with daily chores around the farm. My mom also does all of our farms finances, volunteers as a 4-H leader, a district 4-h board member, is a member of the CWL, is on many boards for school activates that my sister and I are involved in and volunteers with numerous other organizations around town. My mom also has an extremely high pain tolerance that makes me think that she is invincible.
Being that today is mother’s day I am so thankful for all the moms in my life that support me, help me, inspire me, and challenge me to be a better person. I am very grateful for my rural roots that have allowed me to get to know such fine ladies!


3 comments:

  1. I can so relate to all the "adopted moms" at cattle shows and 4-H events. Even ten years later, they are still in my life, supporting and caring for me. Aren't we lucky to be involved in such a tight-knit community?

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes we are Definitely very lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I showed 'Momma Nola' just now and this is what she has to say about it: "First of all, I am truly touched that you would think of me this way and that 4-H/cattle shows aren't just for the kids!!" ~Love, Momma Nola and Keylee

    ReplyDelete