Thursday, May 26, 2011

My favourite Animal

The other day at work we were having a conversation on our favourite animals (yes, we are very interesting people!) One person said a blue whale because of their size, another said some kind of bug that is bright pink and can produce cyanide. I said Cattle. And although I got made fun of for this answer animal I still think they are really amazing, and although they may not produce any poisons or be particularly large in size they do have some very cool traits, here are just a few:
-          They have 4 stomachs (not all like ours, there are actually 4 digestive compartments that help them to utilize food that they eat)
-           They have legs that bend in only 1 direction (meaning they could walk up stairs, but not down them)
-          A dairy cow can produce 200,000 glasses of milk in her lifetime
-          They can detect smells in the air from over 6 miles away!
-          According to my grandpa you can use them to predict if a rain storm is going to last or not (if the storm is going to be a long one cattle will continue to graze, if it is going to be a short one they will all huddle together)
-          They are basically giant machines that turn things like grass and hay that we can’t use into edible materials like milk and meat.
-          Dairy cows can produce up to 125 pounds of saliva a day!
-          They can see almost completely around them, they only have one small blind spot directly behind them

1 comment:

  1. I definitely know how you feel. I always say cows are my favourite animal too and I get funny looks and laughs. Gotta love being a farm girl.

    ReplyDelete