Monday, May 09, 2011

Life on the Farm

In the John Denver song Thank God I’m a Country Boy he says that “life on the farm is kinda laid back”. I would like to know what farm he was talking about because right now it seems as if every farmer/rancher I know, including myself is so busy they can’t tell if they are coming or going. With it finally starting to get warm around here many of the farmers are anxious to get into the fields and start working land so that they can seed.  Being that it has been a wet year seeding is being pushed back so that tractors are not getting stuck. Since it is starting to get nice all the cattle ranchers are starting to bring cows out to pasture, everyone I talk to seems to be vaccinating calves, branding, tattooing and hauling cows and calves out to pastures.

myself I have been crazy busy with my summer job but also cleaning out my grandmas old house to rent out, volunteering with my sisters 4H club, helping my sister to halter break calves for a 4-H show, selecting our summer show pen and also doing  our regular chores around the farm. I am one of those people who enjoys being busy and I have a great time with all the things that I am involved in, but right now I am hoping, like many of the farmers/ranchers around here are, that things start to slow down just a bit!

No comments:

Post a Comment