Sunday, May 01, 2011

Never too old

The last few days I have been done school and moved home but I don't start work until tomorrow morning. So by default I have become, in my dad's words, the 'hired man' (which I think is a very inappropriate term as I am defiantly not on the pay role and am a girl, but that is another story.) I have been waking up early to feed bulls at my house then driving across town to my grandparents house to help feed the cows and calves. my job usually consists of packing buckets full of barley and pellets to the cattle and opening the gates to the pens so my grandpa can get in to give them a nice fresh bale of straw to lay on. But my favorite part of helping out around the farm is when we need to go take a hay bale to the cows in the pasture. when we get out there I get to help spread the bales, then walk through all the cows to check if any of them are sick or injured, and though I enjoy that too, the ride out there is still my favorite part.
My grandpa loads up a bale on the tractor, then just as he did when I was a little kid calls for me to come up in the tractor with him and ride out to the field. Now I have to admit, when I was young there was a lot more room, I could sit comfortably on the tool box and not worry, now I am too tall and must sit crouched over so that I can fit. I don't mind this at all because on the way over to the pasture my grandpa tells me stories about our family like how my great grandpa migrated over from Poland,or how Grandpa and his brother used to trail cows to auction for the neighbors for 'big money' ($40 in those days). Just like my Grandpa who often tells me that he will never get to old to feed cows because the cows are what keeps him young I have came to the conclusion that I will never get to old to ride with my grandpa in the tractor and listen to his stories.
This is one of the main factors that has led me to truly believe what my parents have told me all these years; that agriculture is not only a business, but more so a way of life.

2 comments:

  1. What an awesome opportunity to spend a little more time with your family before your summer job starts. I am sure they appreciate all of your help. I know an extra set of hands on the farm always makes things go a lot quicker!

    www.crystalcattle.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I am defiantly enjoying being home with my family and especially with all the mud we have around here lately all the help we can get is appreciated haha!

    ReplyDelete