Wednesday, May 04, 2011

The Farmers Wife

A few months ago when I was home for a visit I went with my sister to her regional 4-H speak-offs. Her impromptu topic (or unprepared speech) was on ‘the farmer’s wife’ My sister talked about how the roles of farmers wife has changed from a house wife who took care of the children to someone who is very involved in the business of farming. Although I believe this is true to some extent, when I look at the stories that my grandma tells me I realized that this is not entirely the truth.
My grandma passed away in December and since then I have learned a lot about the amazing life that she led. As a young girl my grandma grew up on a farm with all brothers because of this she was very determined to win. My aunt tells me that she used to brag about how when the wagon and buggy would come to pick up the boys for school, by the time they stopped for all the kids and took the road my grandma could run across the prairie and beat them to school. My grandma was a great cook and also used to tell stories about how she cooked for the thrashing crew at a very young age. This dedication that she had is what, in my opinion made her a great farmers wife.
When my grandma married my grandpa they lived on a farm and raised Herford cattle. My grandma used to talk about not only raising children, cooking for crews on the farm, but also pitching in with chores from time to time when help was needed. My grandma was a very devout catholic and a perfectionist (she ironed her rags) and I can still remember the closest I ever got to hearing her swear: I came into her house one day after working with the cows and did not realize how dirty I was, once realizing it I apologized for leaving mud on her floor and went to leave and she told me “when I used to get mad at your grandpa for bringing mud into my house he would always reply to me ‘the crap from those cows is what makes the money, without taking care of them in the mud we wouldn’t have this house we have’”
from then on every time I think of a farmer’s wife I think of my grandma and how she not only managed to raise 5 kids, keep them fed and her house spotless but also to lend a hand around the farm when necessary. Today I see this in the many farmers wives that I know, most of them also have full time jobs, manage the finance of the farm, and also are out there to treat sick cows, chase cows in the mud or dust, feeding cows daily and helping out in other ways around the farm.

No comments:

Post a Comment