Saturday, May 07, 2011

Job Training

Since the day that I joined 4-H over 9 years ago I knew that it would be a major asset in my life. I knew that one day, when I got a job, I would rely on the skills that I have learned through 4-H. One of the most valuable lessons that I have learned through 4-H is how to speak in public. Every year 4-Hers are required to present a prepared speech and an impromptu (unprepared speech). At first this experience was terrifying. The first time I gave an impromptu I was given the topic ‘rodeo’ which seemed very easy to talk about for only 1-2 minutes. In the minute that I had to prepare my little speech on rodeo I scribbled down everything I could think of. At the ripe old age of 9 I thought it would be a piece of cake. I stood up to give my speech to the room of about 10 people, read all the words I had down on my card in about 10 seconds then started to cry and sat down. Looking back I can now look at this incident and laugh. I can also see how far I have come from this day. I have now competed in public speaking completions not only with my clubs but also my district, region, and province. Being able to speak in public is a skill that I find very valuable. I use it all the time in my classes and also believe it is one of my many 4-h Learned skills that helps me succeed in the jobs that I apply for.
Some of the many useful skills that I have learned through 4-H that I believe help me (or will help me) in the job field include: a knowledge of cattle and cattle nutrition, how to communicate with people, a knowledge of how important volunteers are in our communities, how to conduct a proper meeting, how to keep a record book, how to work as a team, and how to be a leader.
 The skill I did not think I would need is one that I have learned through all my years of doing hi-way clean-up. But this year on my first day at my summer job, that was exactly the skill that I needed. This summer I am once again working for my town and my job is to maintain the roads and walks, and that Includes ditches. With all my practice picking up garbage from ditches this last week at work I was well prepared to once again volunteer with my old 4-H club to help with their stretch of the highway on this year’s highway clean up.

2 comments:

  1. Stopping by from Crystal Cattle. You have a great blog!

    www.thisfarmfamilyslife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you very much! I checked out your blog too, I love the picture of your dog, we also have a blue heeler!

    ReplyDelete